Twana W. Allen
Twana Allen leads the firm’s Family Law section, which includes custody and divorce matters, as well as adoptions. She is also a court-appointed advocate for children in the Dallas family courts and a certified mediator.
Twana understands that clients who need legal representation for family law matters are often experiencing one of the most emotional and life-altering experiences of their lives. Her primary role as their attorney and advocate is to decrease their anxiety about what they’re going through. It’s her job to counsel them on the law so they can navigate through the difficult decisions they’re asked to make.
In Twana’s role as an impartial mediator, her goal is to help parties find a resolution that works best for them, which reduces the time, expense, and tension that comes with a trial before a judge or jury. Whether she is representing a parent or a child in litigation or mediating, she is always conscious of the immediate need to bring an end to adversarial situations.
Twana graduated from the Oklahoma City University School of Law. She loves traveling, cooking, and wine, and at one point considered becoming a sommelier. The pandemic has led her to become a “plant mom,” which has proven to be very therapeutic. Twana has several nieces and nephews she spoils with every opportunity, and she’s passionate about the children she’s appointed to represent.
- Family Law
- J.D., Oklahoma City University School of Law, 2001
- B.S., University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff, 1993
- West & Associates LLP; Dallas, Texas; Partner; February 2022 – present
- Law Office of Twana W. Allen; Dallas, Texas; May 2005 – January 2022
- DeHay & Elliston, L.L.P.; Dallas, Texas; Associate, April 2003 – May 2005
Admissions & Certifications
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Texas
- Family Mediation Certification, 2014
- Basic Mediation Certification, 2016
- CPS Mediation Certification, 2017
- Certified Parenting Coordinator and Parenting Facilitator
- State Bar of Texas, Family Law and Computer and Technology Sections
- Dallas Bar Association, Family Law Section
- JL Turner Legal Association, Member
- National Association of Counsel for Children, Member
- Legal Aid of NorthWest Texas, Volunteer Attorney
- Bell Tower Scholarship, Inc., Treasurer
- UAPB/AM&N National Alumni Association, Member
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Metropolitan Dallas Alumnae Chapter
- Panelist, Zoom Webinar, June 2020; “The Talk – About Race & Allies”
- Speaker, Family Violence Program, October 2019, Bowie High School
- Speaker, Get In the Game’s Podcast, Dallas, December 2017; “Lies & Half-Truths About Child Support”
- Speaker, DVAP’s Family Law Nuts & Bolts Program, Dallas, September 2017;
“Conservatorship and Access”
- Panelist, Dowell Middle School’s Black History Month Program, McKinney, February 26, 2016
- Panelist, Mt. Pisgah Missionary Baptist Church’s Rock the Vote Panel, iRock Radio Show, Dallas, October 30, 2015
- Guest Speaker, DeSoto High School, DeSoto, May 22, 2015; “Act Like a Lady, Think Like a BOSS”
- Presenter, Nova Academy Career Fair, Dallas, May 21, 2015; “What’s in Your Briefcase?”
- Guest Speaker, Bowie High School’s Girl Talk group, Arlington, October 22, 2014; “Family Violence: What You Can Do to Protect Yourself” (students and parents)
- Presenter, JL Turner Legal Association’s Community Forum, Dallas, June 2014; “Rights
& Duties of Parents in Texas”
- Presenter, Plummer Elementary School’s Career Day, Cedar Hill, May 9, 2014
- Guest Speaker, Nova Academy, Dallas, October 7, 2013; “Government and Public
Administration – The Career of an Attorney”
- Presenter, Nova Academy’s Career Fair, Dallas, May 24, 2013; “Tools for Success”
- Presenter, Plummer Elementary School’s Career Day, Cedar Hill, May 10, 2013
- Guest Speaker, Project Still I Rise, Inc.’s Youth Awards Presentation, Dallas, December 15, 2012, “Y.O.L.O, So Make the Most of It”
We welcome your email, but please understand that communications via email or through this website do not constitute or create an attorney-client relationship between you and West & Associates, LLP or any of its lawyers.
Unless we reach an agreement with regard to representation, the information you provide will not be treated as confidential or privileged, and any such information may be used adversely to you and for the benefit of current or future clients of the law firm.